Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Pick me up.....

Sometimes...there is nothing nicer than someone bringing you home a little gift for no real reason when they know you could do with a 'pick me up'. Yesterday evening my Mum brought me what is probably the perfect wee gifty for me - A gorgeous brown paper (kraft) travel journal from Paperchase. I am generally just besotted with brown paper..I think it is so timeless and classy (because of it's utilitarian associations I suppose), and quite simple and beautiful (see, I really could write an essay about it!). Anyway..this journal is for when I go to Paris (in all but a week and a half!) so that I can write, in absence of this wee bloggo, draw (generation of new work must begin!)...and use the amazing built in paper pockets to store all the goodies I plan to collect...such as tickets, postcards, French paper coasters and doilies...the list goes on but it will all be stored in here. It really did lift my spirits! :) What perfect little treats have you been given recently for no real reason??

I must confess I am really tired...the saga with the ceiling and getting it fixed goes on...so lots of stupidly early mornings, moving of stuff, cleaning up of mess, doors left open so it is drafty and freezing cold...I REALLY can't wait till it is all done. How DO people refurbish their houses with gusto??

Here is the card that accompanied the gift...a beautiful Lucienne Day one with her 'Miscellany' pattern. I just LOVE love love her work, especially that wonderful Ochre yellow she used, so classy..so bold and chic! See some more of Lucienne's wonderment here and play about with your perfect colour combos....the centre for advanced textiles at Glasgow School of Art re-prints some of Lucienne Days fabrics now, have a good ol' rummage around this site as well if you are in the mood for intrigue and beauty!? I always keep my eye out for vintage bits of Lucienne Day fabric on eBay so that I could make some cushions or stretch it into a canvas...alas still on the search. On another fabric note..but still gushing about that wonderful Ochre-yellowy colour, I am quite liking Romo's new Annacy range where they have teamed this retro colour with a dark and softly smudgy brown type tone (charcoal would have been perfection IMHO)...but I think this is pretty, if very pulled together is your thing. I myself..like things a bit more slapdash..with of course, a bit of plaster thrown in for good measure (ahem.)

Hope everyone has a good day...I am busy busy and pressing on with getting all my orders done before I go..(wheeeeeeeee), so, yes...I better had ;) hugs, Xox

5 comments:

shari said...

hi abigail
your travel journal and lucienne day card are both fabulous. what a wonderful "just because" gift. i know you must be getting more and more excited about your upcoming travels. put some french music on in the background while you work so you can finish those orders! XX, shari ps: lovely links today.

Anonymous said...

What lovely prezzies, been reading your blog for a couple of weeks and really enjoy it. Will have to check out your work at the Red Door Gallery sometime.

lisa solomon said...

what a great journal... and card... can i knew nothing about her.... dangerous!!

i can't believe you go to paris so soon! weeeee!!

Anonymous said...

That is such a great journal your mom gave you! And I love the card too. Sure it will give you inspiration fill the journal in Paris (not that you would need that in Paris of course)

Anonymous said...

Oh what a lovely post. I love Lucienne. I didn't know that Glasgow School of Art were re-printing some of her designs!! That's exciting.